Programs & Services
- 24 Hour Senior Help Line
- Adult Day Health Care
- APS Service Coordination
- Benefits Assistance – Medicare
- Care Transitions
- Congregate Meals
- DOVES® Program
- Elder Resource Guide
- ElderVention® Program
- Family Caregiver Support Program
- Health Promotion
- HIV Care Directions®
- Home-Delivered Meals
- Legal Assistance
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman
- Los Ancianos AmeriCorps
- Mosaic® Center
- R&R Respite
- Senior Adult Independent Living (SAIL)
- Speakers Bureau
Order Your Copy of the Elder Resource Guide
Join our email list
Two more ways to give back to Area Agency on Aging
AmazonSmile and Fry's Food Stores have a simple and automatic way for you to support the Area Agency on Aging every time you shop with them, at no cost to you!
A comprehensive, integrated Health Promotion Program at senior centers in Maricopa County that offers a balanced approach to both the mental and physical well-being of older adults.
Health Promotions is staffed by trained AmeriCorps Wellness Coordinators and their volunteers. The goal of the program is to improve the health and well-being of older adults by encouraging them to take control of their own lives, increasing their awareness of health issues, and recognizing the importance of being active.
Activities provided include:
- Pre & post medical screenings including blood pressure, weight, waist measurement, lipid/A1C tests, gait, vision, hearing, and bone density.
- Pre & post depression and anxiety screenings including assessment of suicide risk.
- Fitness exercises designed for seniors, including Yoga & Zumba, taught two to three times a week by experienced, certified instructors.
- Health Rhythms Group Drumming for improved health outcomes conducted at senior centers four times a year.
- Dental hygiene education for improved care of teeth and gums.
- Eat Smart, Stay Strong – A 4-week workshop designed to help participants increase their intake of fruits and vegetables, plan menus, and increase awareness of food resources (e.g. Farmers markets and SNAP).
- Walk with Ease – An 8-week evidence-based program by the Arthritis Foundation which assists with developing an achievable walking plan.
- Matter of Balance – An 8-week (2½ hour per week) course addressing issues around the fear of falling, learning how to prevent falls, and how to safely get up after a fall.
- Chronic Disease Self-Management (Healthy Living) Program – A 6-week (2½ hours per week) interactive class designed to help people cope with their own, or a family member’s, chronic health problem.
- Educational Talks on topics such as:
- Better Nutrition on a Budget
- How to Talk to Your Doctor
- How to Manage Arthritis, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, etc.
- Maintain Your Brain
- Active Every Day
- Transition Workshops – 8-week curriculum-based discussion groups for adults aged 55+ living in the community, designed to reduce risk of mental health issues including depression, anxiety, substance abuse and suicide. Discussions center around building coping skills, resilience, and positive communication.
Contact Us Today
For details about this program and the activities and locations, call the agency’s Senior HELP LINE at 602-264-4357. Don’t hesitate, call us anytime.