Programs & Services
- 24 Hour Senior Help Line
- Adult Day Health Care
- APS Service Coordination
- Benefits Assistance – Medicare
- Care Transitions
- Congregate Meals
- DOVES® Program
- Elder Resource Guide
- ElderVention® Program
- Family Caregiver Support Program
- Health Promotion
- HIV Care Directions®
- Home-Delivered Meals
- Legal Assistance
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman
- Los Ancianos AmeriCorps
- Mosaic® Center
- R&R Respite
- Senior Adult Independent Living (SAIL)
- Speakers Bureau
Order Your Copy of the Elder Resource Guide
Join our email list
Two more ways to give back to Area Agency on Aging
AmazonSmile and Fry's Food Stores have a simple and automatic way for you to support the Area Agency on Aging every time you shop with them, at no cost to you!
Benefits Assistance Programs – Medicare
There are two programs available under the Benefits Assistance banner. The State Health Insurance Program (SHIP) and the Senior Medicare Fraud Patrol.
State Health Insurance Program (SHIP)
Are you confused by the changes in your HMO? Do you need assistance interpreting your Medicare billing statements? Rest easy, you’re not alone.
The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) provides objective information about Medicare and other health insurance benefits to seniors, the disabled, and caregivers. SHIP Counselors assist those with Medicare, or those eligible for Medicare, to better understand their options and help them maneuver through the system.
Trained volunteer counselors provide individual assistance on these sometimes confusing policies and forms, offering free personalized assistance. The average client receives 45 minutes of free assistance, but problems or appeals can be complex, involving many hours and coordination between multiple agencies.
Trained volunteers can be found at a number of locations throughout Maricopa County to provide free personalized assistance. You can find an up-to-date List of Counseling Locations.
- Information regarding Original Medicare, Medicare Advantage plans (HMOs/PPOs etc.), Medicare Supplement plans (Medigap) and options under Medicare
- Assistance with organizing Medicare and supplemental claims information to insure all benefits are paid and obligations to providers are satisfied
- Assistance with Medicare appeals and resolving problems
- Basic information on applying for Social Security, Medicare and SSI
- Up-to-date information and assistance on Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage
- Information on eligibility for low income programs
- Information on Long Term Care policies – Benefits Assistance counselors do not sell and will not recommend one product over another
- Community Presentations on various Medicare topics
Senior Medicare Fraud Patrol
The Senior Medicare Fraud Patrol educates the community on healthcare fraud prevention; if someone is a victim of healthcare fraud, they will help investigate and file claims to help resolve the problem. Senior Patrol volunteers are seniors who help fight and prevent Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse.
Here’s a sample of what this program achieves nationally every year – In 2011 the Patrol had:
- Just under 6,000 active volunteers
- Almost 9,000 outreach events reaching an estimated 1.6 million people nationwide
- Over 11,000 group education events reaching 440,000 people
- 155,000 beneficiaries/caregivers assisted through one-on-one contacts
- $5.3 million referred on for further research/action by partner agencies
Medicare Fraud is a big problem but recent figures from the Departments of Justice and Health and Human Services showed record-breaking recoveries resulting from joint efforts to combat health care fraud.
Medicare fraud costs the nation:
- $31,780 Million per day
- $1,324 Million per hour
- $22,070 per minute
If you suspect Medicare fraud, call the statewide toll-free number 1-800-432-4040 or call calling our 24-hour Senior HELP LINE at (602) 264-HELP.
Benefits Assistance & Medicare Online Library
To help you navigate the complexities of Medicare benefits, we have put together an online resource library. Click on the various links below for detailed information. To speak to a Benefits Assistance Counselor, call 602-264-4357.
If you are becoming Medicare eligible
Medicare Enrollments, Drug Plan, Health Plan, & Supplemental Insurance
Medicare Limited Income Programs
Medicare Open Enrollment Tool Kit
- Medicare and You Handbook
- Medicare Open Enrollment Made Simple
- Medicare Advantage Chronic Condition & Institutional Special Needs Plans (SNP)
- Medicare Advantage Full Dual Medicare & Medicaid Special Needs Plans (SNP)
- Medicare Rx Drug Coverage Counseling Tool
- Drug or Health Plan Enrollment Agreement
- Arizona Prescription Drug Plans (PDP)
- Medicare Advantage HMO and PPO
Contact Us Today
You can learn more about Medicare by calling our 24-hour Senior HELP LINE at (602) 264-HELP.